Youth Climbing Team
We are transitioning to a rolling admission system following approval from the Program Director and Head Coach
Cost: Monthly Electronic Fund Transfer (EFT) of $130
Age: 10 + or with coach approval
Schedule: Monday OR Wednesday 5:00-7:00 PM*
The Development Team (formerly competition team) is evolving to work with climbers to realize their potential in a wider range of aspects to the sport. Each climber will be required to complete a monthly "objective" that encourages growth not just in competitive climbing, but as active members of Petra Cliffs and the greater Vermont climbing community. To complete an objective, climbers will need to propose their idea to their coaches beforehand for approval and assistance.
Ideas for objectives:
- Train for and compete in local, regional, and national USA Climbing competitions (Competition fees are not included in team fee)
- Volunteer to assist with another Petra Cliffs Youth Program
- Participate in a climbing area trail day: either through CRAG-VT or as a team with Petra Cliffs
- Go climbing outside with a certified guide (not included in team fees)
- Independent research on a topic of interest in climbing
- Do an indoor technical skills clinic or other free member clinic at Petra Cliffs
*Coached M/W Sessions
To account for high interest but maintain sufficient social distancing, we will continue to split the team in half and hold two different practices. These sessions will run 2hrs in our standard format (warm-up/stretching, drills and climbing, and a dedicated workout). Parents will need to discuss preference for Mondays or Wednesdays with the head coach.
Team climbers will be required to book one additional independent in-gym practice session every week. These will be mandatory and need to be booked through our online registration software. Coaches will be sending out a checklist of drills and workouts to guide the session. Follow this link to read more about how to register for these time slots.
Additional COVID-19 Measures
We know this has been a hard time for a lot of our climbers, but if we all do our part to stay as safe as possible and contribute we can hopefully take an active role in the re-opening of the state.
- Climbers must follow all guidelines set forth by Petra Cliffs in accordance with State of Vermont Executive Orders including wearing cloth facemasks in the facility, practicing social distancing and handwashing/sanitizing.
- Guidelines will be updated on the Petra Cliffs Website and coaches will inform the team of any relevant updates.
- We cannot realistically predict changes that may happen in the future. While there hopefully will be further easing of restrictions we do recognize the possibility of a tightening. Due to this possibility, we want folks to register with the understanding that there may be changes to how we operate, including the transition from in-person to remote coaching.
All Teams Include:
- Full membership to Petra Cliffs and use of rental gear anytime
- Team t-shirt or tank with each USA Climbing Season
- Evolv and Scarpa climbing shoe discounts
- Discounted entry to Petra Cliffs competitions
- Families receive 40% off memberships
- USAC Memberships NOT included
We have no strict age cut-off for either group; we have found it's best to work with each member of the team to identify his or her skill level, goals, and maturity level. Taking those factors into consideration, our coaches are able to help each climber find the best fit for them!
If climbers advance to the Divisional or National (or beyond) competitions, Petra Cliffs will work with the individual climbers to develop additional climbing and training sessions (not included in regular season fee).