Cost: Electronic Fund Transfer (EFT) based on number of practices per week
Age: 10 + or with coach approval
Schedule: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and/or Friday 5:00-7:00 PM*
The Development Team (formerly competition team) is evolving to work with climbers to realize their potential in a wider range of aspects to the sport. Each climber will be required to complete a monthly "objective" that encourages growth not just in competitive climbing, but as active members of Petra Cliffs and the greater Vermont climbing community. To complete an objective, climbers will need to propose their idea to their coaches beforehand for approval and assistance.
Ideas for objectives:
- Train for and compete in local, regional, and national USA Climbing competitions (Competition fees are not included in team fee)
- Volunteer to assist with another Petra Cliffs Youth Program
- Participate in a climbing area trail day: either through CRAG-VT or as a team with Petra Cliffs
- Go climbing outside with a certified guide (not included in team fees)
- Independent research on a topic of interest in climbing
- Do an indoor technical skills clinic or other free member clinic at Petra Cliffs
*Coached M/W/Th/F Sessions
To account for high interest but maintain sufficient social distancing, we will continue to split the team in half and hold four different practices. These sessions will run 2hrs in our standard format (warm-up/stretching, drills and climbing, and a dedicated workout). Parents will need to discuss preference for practice days with the coaches.
Team climbers are encouraged to come climb outside of practice times. Climbers under 12 years of age need adult supervision.
All climbers, participants, spectators and guardians must agree to follow all COVID-19 guidelines set forth by Petra Cliffs in accordance with State of Vermont Executive Orders. Visit our website (petracliffs.com/calendar/covid19adventure) for a detailed description of these policies and current requirements.
All Teams Include:
- Full membership to Petra Cliffs and use of rental gear anytime
- Team t-shirt or tank with each USA Climbing Season
- Evolv and Scarpa climbing shoe discounts
- Discounted entry to Petra Cliffs competitions
- Families receive 40% off memberships
- USAC Memberships NOT included
We have no strict age cut-off for either group; we have found it's best to work with each member of the team to identify his or her skill level, goals, and maturity level. Taking those factors into consideration, our coaches are able to help each climber find the best fit for them!
If climbers advance to the Divisional or National (or beyond) competitions, Petra Cliffs will work with the individual climbers to develop additional climbing and training sessions (not included in regular season fee).