SumMAT Camp Leader
SumMAT Camp Leader 2019
Petra Cliffs Climbing Center & Mountaineering School is looking for passionate, self-motivated, creative, and fun people to join our summer camp staff! Summer Mountain Adventure Training Camp (SumMAT Camp – “summit”) is an outdoor adventure camp that gets kids and staff outside every day! This position is full-time Monday – Friday June 18th – August 24th with one week of staff training running June 10th – 14th. Each day of camp will start and end at Petra Cliffs Climbing Center in Burlington, but our adventures take us all over. Every day brings a new activity: indoor and outdoor climbing, caving, kayaking, ropes course climbing / teambuilding, and sailing!
Responsibilities and Duties
- Provide care and supervision for campers in your program area and/or group.
- Plan, prepare for, and deliver programming for campers in assigned skill areas.
- Work closely with the Camp Director, specialists, and other group leaders to plan engaging programming across all areas of camp throughout the season.
- Drive the camp vans to and from the pick up and drop off locations Monday-Friday
- Fully engage and participate in staff training week.
- Attend all relevant and assigned staff meetings/check-ins.
- Support and instruct campers in daily activities including but not limited to climbing, kayaking, sailing, caving, teambuilding, Bolton Adventure Center activities, LNT practices, etc.
- Maintain a positive group environment emphasizing a camp culture that is relevant, healthy and fun
- Lead by example in observing and enforcing camp rules and safety regulations
- Be a resource for the public and an ambassador of Petra Cliffs
- Maintain clean programming areas and practice Leave No Trace principles
- These are not the only duties to be performed. Some duties may be reassigned and additional duties may be assigned as required.
Qualifications and Skills
- 18 years of age or older with a clean driving record and confidence in safely driving a 12 passenger van daily
- Ability to take initiative; be proactive without waiting for direction; have a strong sense of personal accountability and ability to execute such behavior
- Demonstrate exceptional leadership skills
- Ability to be a consistent and positive mentor and source of support and care for campers of any age
Job Type: Full-time
Preferred experience: Youth development - minimum 1 year
Required license or certification:
- Clean driving record and valid driver’s license
- Minimum of a current Wilderness First Aid (WFA) certification (pay increases with higher or the addition of other relevant certifications)
- Valid CPR certification
Please return a completed application, current resume, and cover letter to our Camp Director, Cate Beebe, in person at 105 Briggs St., Burlington or via email at cate@. petracliffs.com