SumMAT Camp Leader
SumMAT Camp Leader 2020
Petra Cliffs Climbing Center & Mountaineering School is looking for passionate, self-motivated, creative, and fun people to join our summer camp staff! Summer Mountain Adventure Training Camp (SumMAT Camp – “summit”) is an outdoor adventure camp that gets kids and staff outside every day! This position is full-time Monday – Friday (June 15th - August 28th) with one week of staff training running the week before camp. Each day of camp will start and end at Petra Cliffs Climbing Center in Burlington, but our adventures take us all over. Every day brings a new activity: indoor and outdoor climbing, caving, kayaking, ropes course climbing / team building, and sailing!
Responsibilities and Duties
- Provide care and supervision for campers in your program area and/or group.
- Plan, prepare for, and deliver programming for campers in assigned skill areas.
- Work closely with the Camp Director, specialists, and other group leaders to plan engaging programming across all areas of camp throughout the season.
- Drive the camp vans to and from the pick up and drop off locations Monday-Friday
- Fully engage and participate in staff training week.
- Attend all relevant and assigned staff meetings/check-ins.
- Support and instruct campers in daily activities including but not limited to climbing, kayaking, sailing, caving, team building, Bolton Adventure Center activities, LNT practices, etc.
- Maintain a positive group environment emphasizing a camp culture that is relevant, healthy and fun
- Lead by example in observing and enforcing camp rules and safety regulations
- Be a resource for the public and an ambassador of Petra Cliffs
- Maintain clean programming areas and practice Leave No Trace principles
- These are not the only duties to be performed. Some duties may be reassigned and additional duties may be assigned as required.
Qualifications and Skills
- 18 years of age or older with a clean driving record and confidence in safely driving a 12 passenger van daily
- Ability to take initiative; be proactive without waiting for direction; have a strong sense of personal accountability and ability to execute such behavior
- Demonstrate exceptional leadership skills
- Ability to be a consistent and positive mentor and source of support and care for campers of any age
Job Type: Full-time
Preferred experience: Youth development - minimum 1 year
Required license or certification:
- Clean driving record and valid driver’s license
- Minimum of a current Wilderness First Aid (WFA) certification (pay increases with higher or the addition of other relevant certifications)
- Valid CPR certification
Please return a completed application (Download our printable application here or our fillable form), current resume, and cover letter to our Camp Director, Cate Beebe, in person at 105 Briggs St., Burlington or via email at cate@. petracliffs.com